Tuesday, November 29, 2011

POTENTIAL JOHNS - "The 90's" - CDR

    I have already discussed my long term obsession with this band, so I will spare you the gory details. As I mentioned before, Mike Wiebe made me a 90 minute tape of songs by the POTENTIAL JOHNS back in 2000 and I took the tape on every road trip or tour I went on until I lost it somewhere in Phoenix, AZ in 2006. I will go as far as to say that I felt like I had lost a piece of myself. I probably sent Jeff (the sole songwriter and person playing every instrument on these recordings) some long, rambling email whining about losing this tape and how much it meant to me. When I got home two weeks later, there was a package waiting for me containing this CD, other CD's full of home recordings and all of the MARKED MEN albums. Needless to say, I was beside myself with happiness and my roommates had to suffer through hearing this man's voice through my walls for the next year.
   This CD is 33 (one of them is repeated) untitled songs recorded on 4 track during the 90's in Texas. Some of them were re-recorded later and appeared on records. Many of them were only passed around on mix tapes and through the internet. All of them are pure pop genius.
                          Download POTENTIAL JOHNS
re-uploaded 2013

16 comments:

keeferooni said...

Any chance of a track listing here?

Harvester said...

Nope. When I got this, it was just a CDR that said "The 90's" on it. That's it. Sorry.

keeferooni said...

Aw dang. A proper thanks is still in order. Love this blog, man.

Bryan said...

I can't thank you enough for uploading this. I can never have enough of any of the Marked Men side projects. Are you excited about Jeff's new band Novice? I sure as hell am.

Harvester said...

Yeah and it's really good, of course...I think they're already done with since He's not in Japan anymore...or on hiatus.

Rob said...

Sort of a long shot but... The link doesn't work anymore. Any chance of a new link? I just got into these guys BIG TIME and all I have is their 2-track EP. Please help

Harvester said...

Not a long shot. It works now.

Chris said...

I got the track listing for this somewhere, when I find it i'll post it. Same cd jeff made me! I think :)

Chris said...

I got the track listing, I'll look for it and post. this blog is great! got the same cd from jeff ages ago.

Unknown said...

Early Jeff Burke Band, check them out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaevWBbsuRI&feature=youtu.be

Anonymous said...

anyone have contact info for novice/radioactivity, or jeff burke?

ps thanks for the upload, can't stop playing it!

Justina Ann said...

Did anyone find a track listing?

Anonymous said...

this is the best i could do for the tracklist:

1. Why'd You Walk Away
5. Finally Through
12. Sit Quietly (same as the song on the Chinese Telephones split)
15. Need You
22. Unknown (same as the song labelled "Unknown" on OFF BABY!, but whether or not that is actually the title, or just an unknown song is unknown to me)
26. Sit Quietly (same as the version on OFF BABY!, but not the same as the one on the Chinese Telephones split, so i'm guessing one of these is wrong, since the music and lyrics sound different)
27. Lost
31. Wonder Why
33. Insecurities
34. You never Cared

Amigo said...

Thanks, Harvester, for this upload. It's great.
This is what I can add to the tracklist:
4. Never
6. Lonely Man
7. Don't Really Wanna Know
11. What A Waste
13. Please Believe
19. Father
23. On You
24. Best Songs
26. Don't Cuss
28. I'd Like to See

Unknown said...

You've made a new fan, just from simply listening to good music in a time when it's becoming more and more scarce. Thank you friend

Ben Michon said...

Thanks for this. I played in a band called Glitchell and our singer Todd Alexander turned me on to this music. RIP. Jeff's music speaks to me way more than the Marked Men stuff.