Saturday, January 21, 2012

50 MILLION - Live at Mission Records - Tape - 1999

   Previously, I have rattled on and on and ON about 50 MILLION being the best band in the world, so I will keep my ramblings short this time. I'll leave this post mostly up to Erick Lyle, who played drums on this recording and loaned this tape to ye olde Outpost.

   "1999 was a rough year in the Mission - all under ages spaces were closed by cops in the gentrifying dot-com boom. Yuppies everywhere. All the great bands like HICKEY broken up. Most of the scene spiraling into drug-filled wreckage. 50 MILLION did not give up, however! I was asked to join on drums and Wade moved to lead guitar. We practiced 5 hours a day, pushing our amps in shopping carts to rehearse at Starcleaners (ed. note: a former art/show space off of Mission Street near 18th where Jen from Shellshag lived along with many other freaks over time) and I did what I could to help Wade realize his vision for a new double LP, "The Song Remains Insane." We played as many shows as possible to work on this new material (I think we played Kimo's a bunch when it was still a queer bar and you had to wear drag to play there. I cherish great memories of going to steal lipstick and eyeliner at Walgreen's on Polk St with Shell). The thing is, no one cared. It was just a dark time. The scene was in ruins, but we tried. That record even got recorded but never came out. This show is from Mission Records with THE NEED from Olympia. We refused to play any of "the hits", just all new shit. So at the end, Bochay, Pablo and Jason sang "Baltimore" to us. Very sweet. "

   The lineup on this one was Wade and Shell on guitars and vocals, Capt Norlon on bass and vocals and Iggy Scam (Erick) on drums. I have a few random songs on a tape from that double LP and they are really good. If anyone wants to put out that beast (if the source tapes still even exist), get in touch with me and I will get you in touch with them. Enjoy this crazy sounding live set from 1999.

Download 50 MILLION Live
(link updated 8/12/16)

6 comments:

Erick Lyle said...

Dude.
What happened to Sunday To Monday?
It was my favorite!

Harvester said...

I just downloaded this to make sure it was there...and it was there. I just listened to it in its entirety. Still sounds great! try again?

gooniestorm said...

wow i forgot about a bunch of these songs... thanks for posting this!

Harvester said...

you're welcome. It sounded like a fun show and I wish I would have been there.

wade driver said...

hey y'all...the master tapes have been found and there is a slight possibility that it MIGHT be released...maybe this year or possibly next...

Harvester said...

This is great news! Let me know if you need anything to help out.