Tuesday, January 3, 2012

NAR - Sort-Of Retrospective - CDR - The 90's

   NAR was a power-pop/garage-punk/plain-ol' punk band from Sacramento,CA that existed throughout most of the 90's and crafted a ton of catchy songs that still bounce around the forefront of my brain to this day. They appeared on a slew of 7"'s and comps put out by various labels like Moo-La-La, Secret Center and Very Small Records. They even put out a split LP with the LIZARDS on Moo-La-La. This CDR compiles 41 songs (!!!!!) from a variety of sources, including all of the releases mentioned above and more..including some songs from an unreleased LP. I think Scott (their singer and guitarist) explains it succinctly in the liner notes....
   I was lucky enough to see NAR exactly one time. Scott called me early one morning when I was living in Chattanooga and said "Hey, this is Scott from NAR". I was confused because we had never talked on the phone. He was calling from Knoxville, TN and wanted to see if NAR could play in Chattanooga....soon...like that night. I scrambled around and was able to put together a show at a house (in East Lake on 32nd street, for those readers in Chattanooga) and I got THE JACK PALANCE BAND to open. The only problem is that I had to work that night and I was going to miss this great show. I went into work, totally dejected and bummed that I had to miss NAR. I called the house before the show and they said JPB was setting up and about to play. I hung up the phone, told the bartender that I was quitting my job and biked across town at top speed to make it in time for JPB's first song. It was a great show and NAR was excellent. I don't regret my actions for a second..(.especially since I walked into my job the next day as if nothing ever happened and I was still able to work there. ) Unfortunately, that was one of the last shows for NAR on that tour. They were driving through Mississippi the next day, got pulled over, got busted with pot and one of them spent a day or two in jail, which threw of the rest of their tour.
   NAR played a rare show in mid-2011, but haven't really played consistently since the 90's. Scott has always played drums in the BANANAS, as well. It was at a BANANAS show that I asked him if NAR would ever put out a discography and he pulled this CDR out of his pocket and gave it to me. 41 songs!
    NAR Discography
(re-uploaded March 2013)
I found this flyer taped to a pole in North Chattanooga two weeks after the show. Sources believe it was made by Tom Foote.

6 comments:

Dk said...

Nar was an awesome band. I remember picking up their split 12" with Lizards which I still hold dear to this day. Been trying to obtain their other releases - besides their "Holiday Routine" 7" and comp tracks. Great way to start off the new year, dude. Rad.

Anonymous said...

What's funny (now anyway!) is that Tim (fill in bass player for the Nar tour) was the only person who didn't have weed on him when we got pulled over so he wasn't going to get arrested & he would've been able to keep our van out of the impound yard. And then the cop searched our car one more time & found a roach in a tape case on the floor of the van & that was enough for Tim to get thrown in jail too. That roach was from a joint that was at the bottom of a big bag of change that we were paid with in Chattanooga! Ed (Nar drummer) ended up getting both of those INSANE cops fired when we got home & our case got tossed. That tiny Mississippi jail was the most scared I've ever been! We still get together on the anniversary of that day & get drunk. Hi Greg!

-scott

Harvester said...

Well, sorry that Chattanooga was somewhat responsible for getting you all thrown in jail. If you guys ever happen to get together in SF to get drunk on that day, I would gladly join you. Also,you should play again since i was too broke and busy to make it to that last show.
Hi Scott!

Anonymous said...

please reup this!

Harvester said...

Thanks for the reminder. Been meaning to get around to this one.

Unknown said...

Good stuff,I'm from ktown,I never got to see nar,but we did get the bananas up here,it was an awesome show...
I was a punkass kid,had to work day after the show at my first job,KFC,lolz,and what do ya know on their way out of town bananas sure as fuck stopped at my work,yay.!!.good times...
AnyhOo favorite nar tune has to be whoa!,or Corvette summer...
Hope everyone is well,and stays safe...