Sunday, December 23, 2012

LOS RABBIS - "The Bible Pt 2: Jesus Goes West" - LP - 1999

   In trying to gather information about bands like these, meaning bands who have little-to-no internet presence, I become privy to lots of information that should never be known about the inner workings of any group. I get a lot of dirt and all the drama that would make for a good story, but in the long run, would also make me some new enemies if I were to put these stories into print. I don't need that. I already have plenty of enemies. This brings us to LOS RABBIS. I had dinner with my old friend, Morgan last night in the Richmond District of SF and he told me story after story about the inner workings of LOS RABBIS, many of which I will never repeat, because who wants their dirty laundry aired out for all to see?
   You may remember a few days ago when I posted the FLESHIES / LOS RABBIS tape and asked if anyone had a digital copy of the latter's excellent LP from 1999. Friend of the blog, Daryl, promptly sent over the digital tracks and added, "I woke up one day at the Chapman St. Warehouse with this CD between two pieces of fabric stapled together in my pocket. Only reason I even have it." It's very appreciated.


   You may also remember that I already said most everything you need to know about the LP in that post,...like they recorded this whole thing in a fancy studio, then they didn't like how it sounded, so they re-recorded the whole thing the next day on a four track. Also, according to the liner notes, some of the vocals were recorded in a car. The liner notes also say that the band once moved to Poland, so who knows what to believe. Now, you can hear the classics, like "Please Stop Circle-Pitting Around My Prosthetic Leg", "Let's Get The Pope Drunk, Wait Til He Passes Out and Then Write Stuff On His Face" and "Los Rabbis Are Sleepy" on your very own mp3 playing device. Sadly, there's one attribute of the vinyl version that doesn't quite translate to this digital mess: after "Los Rabbis Are Sleepy", there is a 2-3 minute space of dead silence on the record, I'm guessing to signify that the last song is a "hidden track", since it isn't listed on the LP jacket. What follows is an excellent cover of BEL BIV DEVOE's "Poison", which I can only describe as "fucked up". For the digital listener, there is no wait. You just get the song in all it's glory. Lucky you.

   There is actually another aspect of this LP that you don't get with the digital copy, which is all the cool shit that comes with this record. First off, the covers are glued on to white sleeves and every back cover is different. Mine has a cut out picture of a guy wearing SUICIDAL TENDENCIES sweatpants. Secondly, there is a multiple page photo collage of the band along with a (mostly fabricated) story of the record (included in download...by the way, does anyone give a shit that I include art in the downloads? I like it. I don't know if anyone else cares.) To top it all off, there is a 12-15 page partial lyric sheet/coloring book designed by "J Dinges. Age 8" (see above. Not included in download).
   I love this album so much. It's weird. It's unexplainable at times. It is the product of some truly inspired people. It's an important piece of Bay Area punk history that rarely gets the recognition it deserves.  Please enjoy.


   Adam and one Mike from this band went on to play in POSER POSSE and TOMMY LASORDA. Adam later played in BROKEN STRINGS and RAINBOW BRIDGE. Mike later played in a band called CHINESE.  Dean later played in STAMPEDE, FUCK YEA AVOCADO, DAVID COPPERFUCK and he now runs the record label, True Panther Sounds. I'm sorry, but I don't know what happened to the other Mike in this band.

8 comments:

smoke ass said...

a two hour documentary on GEEKFEST '98, with footage from LOS RABBIS and others.

http://youtu.be/2A6lv9GebmM

Mikey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron Light said...

Damn, yet another album I would love to download if only the link weren't down. I've been looking for Los Rabbis forever!

Harvester said...

Done. Repost your link to The Body 7"

Aaron Light said...

Hey man, thanks so much. You have no idea what it means to me to finally get these recordings.
If you're referring to the Dead Times tape that I posted with the Body album, I can get that to you shortly.

Harvester said...

Wait, nevermind. I misread. I already have that, but thanks!

Nick said...

does anybody know what kind of guitar amp adam was playing through on the album, or in los rabbis in general? I'm always curious about gear...

also, i know adam played guitar and sang, who did what what otherwise in the rest of the group? i've seen two videos, mike played drums in one, and just sang in the other, i have no idea what dean and the other mike did. not that it really matters, just curious

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I bought this from them in 2001, I love los rabbis