Thursday, February 2, 2012

LETHAL YELLOW - "Declaration Of Retardation" - 7" EP - 1984


    This one is gonna be short today since I spent most of last night puking all over my bathroom (an activity I despise) due to an unknown illness. I feel just peachy today...I can barely sit up and thinking hurts.
   These teenage punks from Miami probably spent a lot of time puking all over the place as well, especially if they were actually ingesting the amount of cheese that they sing about. There are TWO songs on here about eating grilled cheese sandwiches and Velveeta. Other subjects include cockroaches and being a pain in the ass. They're teenagers in the 80-'s...it didn't get too deep.  My personal favorite is "The Obnoxious Song", which is a perfect example of sloppy, young, tuneful punk rock from the 80's during a time when punk was just beginning to go down the tubes of the crossover toilet. At the end, as the song is fading out, you can hear their young singer asking "Did you hear me suffering?" It's my favorite part, since I know him now and that kind of sarcasm is something he is known for. It's good to know that it was still there at 15 or 16 years of age.
   One person in this band went on to be in one of my all-time favorite bands, but I can't really tell you who it is, out of respect for him. You see, he hates this record. Hates it. I heard that he once tried to rip a tape out of the boombox and destroy it because it was on a mix that I made. I want to let him hear my 15-year-old punk band and let him know that things could be much. much worse. I think this record is excellent, so download it now in case he asks me to delete this.


Thank to MRR for having this in their archives and letting me copy it.
Also, if you really want to know his name and later band, I'm sure you can figure it out. The rest of the internet isn't as forgiving as me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hung out with this great group of guys and actually played guitar with them briefly when Ivan left the group. Alex (the bass player) and I went on to form a cover band called the Toasters. Some of the best years of my life!

Anonymous said...

My guess is at least two members really hate this record