Sunday, March 30, 2014

DEFECT DEFECT - Demo - Tape - 2006


   You know how some bands form and then it seems like everything they do is immediately all over the internet? Like, there are times when you couldn't look at some internet sites without seeing a pic of that dude from TENEMENT ringing those bells or all of GAG in their dirty white pants. Don't get me wrong. It's not their fault and those bands are pretty fantastic, but over-saturation is real. There are other bands who act as a slow burn; building up on solid releases and quietly doing everything that they do in just the right way. Bands who immediately come to mind are STILLSUIT, THE TERRIBLES and DEFECT DEFECT.
   They mailed me this tape when they wanted me to set up a show for them in southern Indiana on their first US tour. This was after they has already toured the northwest and played Alaska. Even though I thought parts of the tape were a little weak ("In My World"), I was sure that the band would be stellar live and they didn't prove me wrong. Besides that, they're sweethearts. Years have passed. Times have changed. We've slept in each other's houses many times. DEFECT DEFECT is still a band, still DIY as fuck and still putting out great, solid songs whenever they manage to record them.  Even though they're not 100% active all the time, they've managed to tour Japan, Europe, South America and Mexico...maybe more. I can't keep up with them.
  Check out this tape to see where it all started and if your band makes it up to Portland, always ask to play with them (or SOCIAL GRACES).


A few years ago, I couldn't make a mix tape without putting "We've Already Lost" on it.
Also, this tape has grown on me over the years and I like it a lot more now.

No comments: