Monday, March 18, 2013

B. ARTHUR - Demo - Tape - 2012

   Before B ARTHUR, there was RAG RAGE. RAG RAGE lived in Columbus, OH and once featured a bass player who's mohawk was so tall that she had to lay down in the car on the way to the show because otherwise, her hair would get all bent up on the ceiling of the car. Here's a picture for reference....
   RAG RAGE had a lineup change (no more hawks), moved to Chattanooga, went on some tours and broke up. Britt (guitar/vocals) decided to move away from Chattanooga and within approximately 10 minutes, she was in a new band and on tour again. The first time I saw them was late last year in a basement in Milwaukee. Honestly, I watched them for about 5 minutes before retiring to a couch in the back because I was tired and felt destroyed. The band made me feel like a grandpa when they invited me out to get wasted at a tiki bar. All I wanted was to go to Eric Apnea's house, eat pizza and pass out watching HOLY SHIT videos (which I did). Luckily, I ran into the band later in a basement in Flagstaff, AZ where we were both equally kinda exhausted but both played a fun show. This time, I watched the band rip it to an appreciative, wild and very drunk basement full of punks. B ARTHUR picks up where RAG RAGE left off, but sounds more confident and honed. Britt's voice sounds like a mixture of Too Fast For Love-era Vince Neil mixed with Kat Bjelland, but informed by the Ivy's and Annie's of our ragged basement punk world. Bass player, Ryan's fingers are just as fuckin' busy as hers and play weirdly fucked up bass lines that would cause Tony Lombardo to lose his shit. Meanwhile, punk MVP of 2012 Mike Wilson holds it down on the drums and consistently raises the bar of what should be expected of DIY punk bands in 2013.
   My tape didn't include an insert or song titles, so that's what ya get....no song titles. Since you asked, my favorite songs are #8 and #10. If you want your own tape, drop Mike a line at timecrusader3000AThotmailDOTcom and see if they have any left.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, neither this nor the Endemics demo seems to be working for me.

Harvester said...

Curious. I just checked both and they worked with no problems. Try again?

Dk said...

Both links worked for me and I enjoyed both.

B. Arthur is magnificent - a melodic smackdown that's aggressive and keeps pushing the thunder all the way through. Tracks 1, 5, 7 are stand outs for me, but the demo is so good that next week I might have a different set of favs. Deliciously nasty...in a very very good way.

Anonymous said...

Got 'em now. My computer must have just been being stupid. Thanks for checking though!