Sunday, June 2, 2013

DEAD THINGS - Demo - Tape - 2001

   Before DEAD THINGS, there was PINK COLLAR JOBS, who were a punk band of college students from Boone, NC back in the 90's. After that band dissolved, Jason and Lynn (the core songwriters) moved down to Asheville and started rounding up people for a new band. I feel like they asked me to play drums in this band, but I'm glad they got Lil' Mike instead because he is such a better drummer than me. He even went to school for drumming. Seriously, I went in his house one day and he was practicing African drumming on a fucking bongo or something. I swear, it sounded awesome and I didn't think for one second that he was a hippie or anything. The guy loved (loves) playing drums. Where was I? Oh yeah, they also got Big Mike to play the bass. He had formerly played in ASTRID OTO and CRAP FACTORY. He also had the benefit of being insanely nice, which fit in with the rest of the band and made them one of the nicest bands I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. Despite their pleasantness, all of their songs sound so pissed! What were they pissed about? Rent, lack of insulation (seriously, Asheville winters are somehow the coldest ever because the houses aren't built for it), school, total bullshit, etc, etc...the usual...but they belted it out with talent and style.
   If you can track down this band's album (only on CD) from a year later, do it. It is excellent. Until then, enjoy this raspy, poorly recorded 15 minutes of punk from the south.

7 comments:

smoke ass said...

HELL YEAH! i forgot all about CRAP FACTORY, as well as another asheville band, RETARD BEATERS, you have any of that you could upload? also interested in a band called BABY JAIL, which i honestly know nothing much about but i think they were around in asheville back in the pink house days.

Harvester said...

I have the RB 7", which is the only thing they recorded in their short life. I'm not gonna upload it. Even though I'm sure the members won't care, it was on No Idea and I don't want to deal with the potential copyright infringement nonsense.
I'm not sure if Baby Jail ever recorded. That was just the members of Panty Raid wearing diapers and switching instruments.

Anonymous said...

is the jason from this band the same person who is now in common visions?

Harvester said...

Nope. Different Jason. I think the Dead Things Jason lives in NYC now.

Blair Menace said...

Sweet, I was totally missing this one! I think most or all of the songs are on the CD in re-recorded form but this one is raw and charming. This was recorded on a janky 4 track in the old 562 showspace on Riverside by Sean who lived in Woodfin (can't remember his last name but he built the house next to the trailer). You can hear one of the tracks cut out at the beginning of "Apology" if memory serves.

PS Reatard Beaters weren't from Asheville.

Blair Menace said...

*Retard, haha

(Been listening to Joe Smith a bunch this week too - thanks)

Unknown said...

http://badelectricity.blogspot.com/2013/06/because-sometimes-you-just-want-other.html

here's the full length CD. hope you're doing well greg!