Monday, March 5, 2012

SHOTWELL - "Practice Space Recordings" - Tape - 1999

   This morning, there was a 4.0 earthquake in the Bay Area that made me start thinking about what it would be like if my 1907-era apartment building fell down. Inevitably, as I kept thinking about old Mission District buildings, the history of the neighborhood and all the baggage that comes along with that, I started thinking about SHOTWELL. SHOTWELL and the Mission are inseparable. I can't think about the neighborhood without coming back to songs like "San Francisco's Witherin'" and "Sinking the Ship".
   This is a short entry...only two songs in this download. I believe they were recorded in a storage space on Cesar Chavez St (just down the road from my house) after the release of their LP with MIAMI (you can find SHOTWELL'S songs from that record here.). I think the lineup on this one was Jimmy (as always, on guitar and vocals), Buzz (on bass and vocals) and Chris (on drums). These two songs, "Locked Up With Glue" and "Out", sound a little wilder and more "free" than a lot of their recorded stuff and comes closer to what a live show in the 90's sounded like. Enjoy.


This tape has has a rough life with a lot of use. Be kind.

No comments: