Sunday, August 24, 2014

NEW HAPPINESS - "Silence" - Tape - 2013


   I got this tape sometime last year without truly realizing the band was from the neighboring city of Oakland. Their location may be the least important thing about this band. Anyway, I listened to their tape, liked it and wanted to see them, but with a little bit of digging, I found that they had already broken up. My fucking loss.
   NEW HAPPINESS plays a dark style of post-punk that is so post that it's maybe not even actually punk. Like, maybe they just decided to start a band after listening to a bunch of SKINNY PUPPY one day. What the fuck do I know? It's a little goth sounding with some crazy metal percussion that sounds like synthesizers sometimes..but is actually just a bunch of metal junk. Sometimes, the vocals are a little too over the top for me, but that's just me. Maybe you like over the top.

3 comments:

enola d! said...

thanks so much for the review!!

i wanted to post a comment to let anyone interested know that they can get a copy of the tape by sending $6 to us at:
p.o. box 3936
berkeley, ca 94703

also we are going to release another recording soon. we are broken up but wanted to record the rest of our songs anyway..

thanks!
enola d! of new happinesssssssssss

Harvester said...

Oh great!!
I wanted to post the address on the tape, but it was a street address and I was afraid people might have moved or didn't want their street address online.
looking forward to the new stuff.

jes said...

great tape. a sound between post punk,industrial and gothic rock
thanks :)