Thursday, September 29, 2011

FLEABAG - Tape - 2009

   Oakland's FLEABAG was my favorite local band for the entirety of 2009, as well as a good bit of 2010. They wrote short pop-punk jams that were inspired by queer relationships, longing and loneliness. Marilyn's guitar playing often reminded me of a young Bob Mould or Lance Hahn, even though I don't think she ever really listened to either of their bands. Joe's bass playing, much like his attitude and demeanor, is wise and informed beyond his years. Brad would do a drumroll for infinity or longer, look like he was gonna pass out and then finish the song playing harder than ever. They were inspiring to me. They were building up a sizable local following and it appeared as if Marilyn even had a young queer woman fan club. Then, they did what all great bands from the Bay Area tend to do: they broke up and most of the band moved to Brooklyn. Oh well.
   Marilyn and Joe now play in the excellent band, AYE NAKO, and Brad is still in the Bay Area beating the hell out of the drums in the equally superb HUFF STUFF MAGAZINE.
     Fog up your glasses to FLEABAG here. Updated 2013.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this zip doesn't seem to work. it downloads but then won't open...

Harvester said...

I fucking hate mediafire. write to remoteoutpostsATgmailDOTcom and I wlll just email it to you.

Harvester said...

Nevermind, I fixed it. I still hate mediafire.